Friday, February 10, 2006

On the road
“Come on, Marina, find your groove,” the voice on the other end of the phone said. I was checking off the final details before pulling out of Stowe Thursday morning, and talking to a good friend.
Indeed, I was not myself.
I’m not sure when gung-ho, ready for everything me was replaced with a nervous and travel-stressed version of myself, but I am not liking it. Maybe I’m getting older, maybe I’m becoming like all those other comfort-honing people. The thought is disturbing.
The ultimate perturbing factor that I continue to ponder as I sit in the Logan airport is that I am not headed anywhere outrageous. I’m not going to cover the war in Iraq; I know there’s no danger involved. I’m going to Italy to cover the Winter Olympics!
These rationalizations have made me feel only slightly better.
I’m headed into uncharted territory, and part of me feels as though this event is going to swallow me whole. I will be one reporter amid 10,000 members of the press – that’s like two whole Stowe’s full. I’ve organized all the travel details myself, and for those who know me well that’s reason enough for me to be worried.
The levels of logistic gymnastics reached new heights yesterday when I found out I had a ticket to the Opening Ceremonies. Since I planned to arrive in Torino on the day of the Opening Ceremonies and am staying outside the city in a mountain-town called Claviere I needed to find a room so I could just check into the mountains a day late. I probably don’t need to say that finding a hotel room the day before the Olympics begin is not easy. In the end I must give credit to my best friend for helping me in a pinch.
While the thought of taking on the Olympics by myself seems stifling, on the other hand I imagine that could be a plus. Surely NBC’s entourage has to be clunky and hard to get around. I will be able to come and go as I please, digital voice recorder and laptop in hand. There is really nothing holding me back.
The sentiment among some athletes I’ve spoken with is that they just want to get things underway. They want to stop talking and thinking about it and start competing. I guess, I feel the exact same thing. I can’t wait for the thrill and excitement of the competitions themselves to start fueling me.
Meanwhile, my departing flight has been delayed by two hours, which means I am going to miss my connection to Torino. I’ll have a five-hour layover in Paris, and arrive in Torino at about 5:30pm. This will add new excitement to making it to the Opening Ceremonies.
I guess the fun starts now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marina Knight said...

Oh, yes I did! What a show. I was right in front.

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home