Monday, February 13, 2006

Vermont Gold!

The women's gold medal in the snowboarding halfpipe will remain in Vermont! Hannah Teter came from third place after the qualifiers to jump on top of the podium. Sadly though defending champion and Vermonter Kelly Clark slipped back into fourth place after a fall at the bottom of her last run.
It was so cool to witness the whole event. From the time I got off the press bus I could feel much more energy in the crowd. There were scores of American fans, so much so that it almost felt like a competition in the states. On my way in I ran into Tricia Byrnes, who is also a Vermonter and former Olympian. She was there to cheer on her teammates even though she missed qualifying for the team. Nick Sargent of Stowe was also there. I ran into him after the event in the streets of the old part of town.
It was quite different from the men's downhill yesterday. The snowboarders know how to have a good time!
The skies were blue and the temperature mild. A slight breeze dissolved with the afternoon.
After the event, I ran into Daron and Michelle and we had some lunch at a small restaurant in the old town before driving back to Sestriere together.
Now I'm sitting at the press center getting ready for the action tomorrow. Should be an exciting day. The men's combined and Any Newell's team spring down the road in Pragelato. I obviously can't be in two places at once, and think logistically it will be easier and better for me to watch here, then run in between the downhill and slalom to catch Andy on the live feed here in the press center.
Much more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home